Field station staff are responsible for maintenance and care of this large property - please not The Avenue and car parks are not tarred and wildlife is common on roads, speed limits are 20km/hr.
Users of the Kioloa Coastal Campus fieldstation must comply with ANU standards of conduct and policies on workplace safety.
Pets are not permitted on the fieldstation property (ANU guidelines).
Alcohol is not permitted on the beach
- Be considerate of others - please limit noise and movement late at night and early in the morning.
- To help each person arrive fully prepared, an Essential checklist (pdf 105KB) is provided for the information of all coming to stay at the field station.
- Rubbish: garbage, recycling and food waste - to be placed in our labelled garbage bins and recycling bins provided (near each main community building).
- Drinking water - is the rain water collected from the roofs of the field station buildings and stored in rainwater tanks. Water for showers and toilets is sourced from the property dams.
- Power usage - Power failures are more common as we are in a remote area. As such save work regularly and be conscious of turning off power points when not in use.
Sewage and waste - taking care of the A&A worm farm
- The field station has no mains sewerage or water, all waste is processed by an A&A worm farm. Please don't use toxic or antiseptic soaps or cleaning agents or corosive chemicals, and don't flush any toxic or foreign materials down the toilets.
- Each bathroom/toilet area is provided with special bins for sanitary waste.
Care of the field station enviornment
- Firewood - help preserve the basic ecology of the property by taking firewood only from the wood heaps supplied. Fires may only be lit in fireplaces provided, and the Campus Manager or Caretaker usually organizes this for you. No fires are permitted on beaches at any time. Check with Campus Manager regarding Fire Bans before lighting a fire.
- Experimental areas - respect those areas marked for experimental work - if in doubt, check with the Campus Manager.